Monday, January 12, 2009

O.A.R. Success Stories / Diana



My name is Scott, and I am a 25-year-old first-time cat owner. I could not be more happy with the cat I adopted. She's independent yet affectionate, and bubbling with personality. It's obvious that OAR took great care in raising her from the skinny, hair-missing kitten that presented to them, to the charming 2-year-old cat that I know her as.

While Diana (the name I call her) was not classified as a "special needs" cat, she's been adopted by a sort of "special needs" owner. I have found her not only to be a great companion to unwind with, but also, her nighttime preference for my bedroom has encouraged me to adopt a more healthy nighttime routine and sleep schedule. And, her presence has inspired me to move to a totally non-toxic, "green" assortment of cleaning products. I mention these things because, while I went into this adoption experience anticipating a "win-win" situation--for me, a pet, and for the cat, a "real" home--I guess I never thought that my cat's presence would be such a "BIG win" for me, and I sincerely hope that it is turning out to be a "BIG win" for her as well.

I am very grateful to have Diana around, and also very grateful to all the OAR volunteers who did this, that, and everything for Diana over the years, so that this adoption was possible. If you are thinking about adopting a cat, I applaud you, however, at the same time I caution you in thinking that you will be the shining knight in the relationship; your new kitty will be a shining knight too!

No comments: